MySQL has become one of the most popular database management systems many years ago due to its advantages such as: extensive transactional support, flexibility of open-source software, on-demand scalability and others. However, many organizations still use commercial DBMS with much more total cost of ownership than MySQL willing to migrate their databases. For those cases Intelligent Converters, a software vendor specializing in database migration since 2001, developed dedicated solution called MySQL Migration Toolkit. This is a comprehensive collection of migration tools to migrate data from MS Access, IBM DB2, Firebird, FoxPro, MS Excel, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQLite to MySQL and backward.
MySQL Migration Toolkit has high performance because it does not use ODBC or any other middleware components. Each conversion tool included in this software pack uses low level APIs for reading and writing data, average speed of the migration is about 20000 rows per second on an average modern hardware. The product supports command line support to script, automate and schedule the migration process. Option to store conversion settings into profile makes recurrent database migration even more comfortable. Both on-premises and cloud variations of MySQL DBMS are supported.
MySQL Migration Toolkit allows users to convert data into a local MySQL dump file instead of moving it to MySQL server directly. This approach is known as indirect conversion, it is designed to get more control over the process. It also can be used when remote connection to MySQL server is not available: the script file is transferred to database server over FTP and then database specialist imports it to MySQL database via the standard tools like phpMyAdmin. The resulting script file contains MySQL statements to create all tables and to fill them with the data.
Other features of MySQL Migration Toolkit:
- table definitions are converted with all necessary attributes (null flag, default values, etc)
- the product migrates data, indexes, constraints and most views (except syntax patterns having no direct equivalent in the target DBMS)
- when migrating database to MySQL the product allows to specify table type (ISAM, MyISAM, HEAP, InnoDB or BDB) and character set
- custom column mapping allows to change name, type, default value and NULL-attribute for any column of the resulting table
- all versions of MySQL are supported including such forks as MariaDB and Percona
- option to merge and synchronize target database with the source data
- support for Unicode
- intuitive wizard-style interface
More information about MySQL Migration Toolkit can be found on the official of Intelligent Converters.